What is FINVIZ? Discover the Charting Power
FINVIZ is the ultimate stock market portal: Its main objective is to provide traders with superior financial analysis, research, and visualization. This information comes in the form of quotes, news, charts, maps, technical indicators, alerts, and more. Conveniently, your analysis can be done all in one place: research fundamentals, perform technical analysis, follow relevant news stories, efficiently scan for optimal chart patterns, and check real-time quotes.
Check out the 3-minute Guided Tour for a better understanding of FINVIZ’s quick and easy to use platform (If you click the link and it doesn’t pop up, simply scroll to the bottom of the page to find it).
How to Use FINVIZ: The Most Advanced Stock Analyzer
FINVIZ provides a comprehensive view of the market all in one place through its user-friendly interface. The main menu at the top of the page allows for easy navigation from one function to the next. The most often-utilized screens are detailed below:
Home: The top of the Homepage features an overview of the global stock market indices displayed using candlestick charts (DOW, NASDAQ and S&P 500). This gives you a quick look at the condition/performance of the overall market.
Right below that to the left is a listing of the most significant stock movers (top-gainers, top-losers, oversold, overbought, unusual volume, etc.) Directly to the right of that is an interactive market map. This will take you to the maps tab, which allows for quick consumption of large amounts of stock data.
News: The News section offers clean & quick headlines that can be sorted by time or source. The articles are also split-up between “News” and “Blogs”. Be one of the first to read & analyze the news so that you can position yourself in trades before the rest of Wall Street reacts.
Screener: The Screening tool is where FINVIZ sets itself apart from the rest of the pack. When it comes to Screeners/Scanners, nothing beats it. This is how you narrow down your search for ideal trading opportunities and develop a watch list containing high-potential patterns. For investors who want to buy & sell at optimum times, this is quite a powerful tool.
The software allows you to enter 1 or more pieces of criteria, such as price, market cap, volume, beta, RSI, specific candlestick pattern, etc. The criteria you’ll input depends on your specific style of investing. This saves countless hours of time performing manual chart scans.
Maps: Interactive stock Maps allow for quick browsing & analysis for a large number of stocks at once. With this tool, you can view stock maps of specific sectors, industries, countries, etc. If you come across a stock, sector, or index worthy of further analysis, you can simply click on it for more information.
PROS of FINVIZ
- The scans you run with the Screening tool will efficiently provide you with high-potential stocks for your watch list. Because of this, you will ultimately save countless hours of manual scanning.
- Power to customize scans based on any criteria you choose. The choice is yours: Daily/Intraday, Candle/Line, etc. You can also scan for specific chart patterns, formations, fundamentals, and technicals. Drop-downs make this step simple and you will have the ability to save your settings for future use.
- The scans automatically provide trend lines within the charts. This makes it easier to analyze patterns and key price levels. This is certainly one of the main reasons I prefer FINVIZ over other charting software.
- Ability to have multiple charts on 1 page for efficient analysis so that you can choose the best-of-the-best patterns for yourself. You can also click on individual charts for “Full View”, so image size is not an issue.
CONS of FINVIZ
- Does not offer OTC (Over-the-Counter) stock quotes, charts, news, etc. (Only the major exchanges: NYSE, NASDAQ, and AMEX)
- Cannot annotate/mark-up charts. With other tools, I used annotation/mark-up abilities to draw trend lines & areas of support & resistance, but since FINVIZ automatically supplies trend lines, this isn’t much of an issue.
- Cannot hover over a candlestick within a chart and get exact price information.
- Without signing up for an account or paid subscription, quotes will be 15-20 minutes delayed.
**January 2017 Update**: I found a scanning/screening platform better than Finviz. It covers stocks on every exchange with many more additional features including broker integration for real-time trading. [StocksToTrade – $1.00 7-Day Trial]
The Verdict on FINVIZ
You can finally say goodbye to manual chart screening and save countless hours of research when you begin using FINVIZ Elite. The scans you run will provide you with ideal chart setups for your watch list. Combine an excellent chart pattern with strong fundamentals and good news, and you have a highly profitable trade on your hands. In essence, this is what FINVIZ is all about. Get started today and decide which account level best suites you:
|Features||Anonymous User (Free)||Registered User (Free)||Elite User ($39.50/month)|
|Quotes, Charts, Screening||Delayed||Delayed||Realtime|
|Advanced Charts, Technical Studies||No||No||Yes|
|Screener Presets||0||Max 50||Max 100|
|Advertisments on Page||Yes||Yes||No|
Stop wasting your time jumping from a news site to a quoting site to a scanning site – You get the idea. The functionality of every one of these sites can be found within the FINVIZ Elite platform. The effectiveness of this platform is proven through its user base of retail investors, full-time traders, and even large financial institutions.
Please leave any comments and questions you may have concerning FINVIZ below.
Good Luck Beating Wall Street & Happy Trading!
Written by Matthew Thomas
*ANNOUNCEMENT*: New Stock Trading Content From Matt Thomas Has Migrated Over to EliteSwingTrading.com. Related Articles at EliteSwingTrading: