How to Learn About Affiliate Marketing Online:
For all of you out there interested in Affiliate Marketing, the good news is that there is no shortage of resources. Unfortunately, the problem is that many of these resources are sub-par, and only a few cut the mustard. If you continue on reading this page, I will walk you through the best resources available for beginners.
First, What is Affiliate Marketing? How Does it Work?
Affiliate Marketing is one of the most popular business models available and can be an absolute cash cow for those who do it right. In the simplest of terms, you can make a commission by promoting, and ultimately selling, other company’s products & services.
Take Amazon for example: You may not have known that they have the largest affiliate program available in the world (makes sense when you think about the range of products they sell). Their affiliate program is called Amazon Associates. By signing up for this, you are granted the opportunity to promote, sell, and earn money by selling various Amazon products.
For a deeper understanding of what Affiliate Marketing is, please read What is an Affiliate Marketing Business? Make Money Online.
The 4 Necessities of an Affiliate Marketing Business:
(1) A Professional Website: Having a professional looking website is an absolute necessity as an affiliate marketer. In order to sell things, you need to be organized, provide quality content, and earn the trust of your visitors. If you’re site has an amateur look/feel, the content struggles to hold visitors’ attention, and gets little traffic, then you’ll have a hard time earning at the high-end of what you’re capable of. For these reasons, you need to prepare: Develop your site concept early on, brainstorm ideas, and be willing to consistently create content to add to it.
No Site/Poor Site = No Success
(2) Top-Notch Training: The right training can allow you to bypass a plethora of Critical Website Mistakes as a beginner that can make you look unprofessional, depress your number of site visitors, and overall harm the integrity of your business. Not only is training important, but being a part of a community full of other internet marketers will benefit you as well. You need to have video lessons, step-by-step guides, and expert feedback at your fingertips. This type of training/community mix is what separates successful websites from “just another website”.
(3) An Idea, Passion, or Specific Niche: This is the area that seems to give the most people trouble, although it shouldn’t be all that difficult. Many people think it’s hard narrowing down their niche to something specific, but this type of limited focus is exactly what allows you to display yourself as an expert. It’s one of those things where it’s far better to be “great” at 1 thing than to simply be “good” at everything. And don’t worry too much about how you will make money off your niche because there is no shortage of affiliate programs out there that cover virtually every topic (If you think your niche is obscure, just do a little research first to confirm).
Quick Tip: Type “‘Your Niche’ + Affiliate Programs” into Google to research
(4) Relevant Affiliate Programs/Revenue Streams: The last necessity of affiliate marketing, of course, is the way in which you will make money. As mentioned earlier, there are affiliate programs that offer a wide range of product/service options, such as Amazon, Share-a-Sale, Commission Junction, and ClickBank. In addition to these options, many companies offer their own private affiliate programs. There are many benefits to private affiliate programs, including: larger payouts/commissions, more support, better training, and less competition. You may also want to consider displaying Cost-Per-Click Ads on your site with Adsense, or even create and sell your own products.
Quick Tip: If you’re wondering if a specific product/service has an affiliate program, type “Site: ‘Website.com’ affiliate” into Google. This searches their site for the word “affiliate”.
Top 5 Highly Recommended Resources:
1. Wealthy Affiliate: Nothing compares to the training, support, and community-feel of this online business powerhouse. The best part is you can become a member for free.
3. Click Millionaires: This is the first book I ever read concerning online business and I’ve yet to come across something more educational. I’ve also benefited greatly from watching Scott Fox’s website reviews at ExpertWebsiteReviews.com.
4. LogoNerds: We live in a highly visual world, which makes having images on your site very important. This site offers logos starting at $27 & other graphic design needs for cheap. A free alternative that i refer to as a toned-down version of PhotoShop is Canva.com.
5. Codecademy: Being a successful affiliate marketer certainly does not require tech-skills, such as HTML & CSS, but having a working knowledge will help immensely when it comes to making your website unique.
(Please refer to Build Your Own Online Business Now! for more details)
The Best Advice For Beginners: Take Action!
You can read the books, watch video lessons, and research online business all you want, but taking action is the only way to achieve results. If you think affiliate marketing is worth pursuing, get a website up-and-running & start adding some content to it.
Get into Wealthy Affiliate’s Free Starter Membership: Work diligently through the task-based training courses and build up your site as you go. You will not find a better opportunity for turning your passion into an income-generating affiliate marketing business.
Please leave any questions, comments, or concerns you may have below. I’ll be happy to help. Good luck building your own affiliate marketing business!
Written by Matthew Thomas