How to Make Money Blogging
Bob Lotich’s Impressive Journey:
Bob Lotich was your classic member of corporate America with a personal finance blog on the side created simply to help others, until he got laid off…That’s when he took the opportunity to create a full-time business with his blog that eventually out-earned his day job’s salary within a year. Fortunately, losing his job turned out to be the greatest blessing in disguise as he is now able to live comfortably off the income generated from his blog.
What is a Blog?
It’s hard work, but it doesn’t really seem like it when you’re doing something you’re passionate about and love doing” (p.10).
Definition: A blog is a website that has entries listed in reverse chronological order. It is essentially an online journal or diary that can cover any topic & be updated as frequently as the writer chooses. most bloggers are not “techies”, so there are many platforms out there that make it easy to start (i.e. WordPress).
The Big Question: How Can You Make Money With Your Blog?
Many current and future bloggers do not know how they can make money with their blog. Others aren’t interested in pursuing profits, but if you are, here is a list of options:
1) Cost-Per-Click (CPC) Ads: An example of this would be Google Adsense. They provide you with a code that you place on your site. Advertisements will then appear to visitors based on the content of the webpage. If visitors click on the ad, you receive a certain amount of money. This ranges from about $.01-2.00 per click. Be sure to tweak & test the layout of your site and it’s impact on Adsense earnings.
Adsense Secret: The most profitable spot to put an ad is directly below the title of your blog post.
2) Affiliate Sales: With this method, you promote other products/services and make money on commissions. Basically, you become a 100% commissioned salesperson. First, you create your content. Second, you add affiliate links within your content. Third, visitors click your link. Fourth, visitors purchase the product/service and you make a cut.
Possible Affiliate Networks: Amazon, Commission Junction, ShareASale, LinkShare
3) Sell Your Own Product/Service: Bob left this one out, but I think it’s important to mention. You can sell your own physical products (jewelry, clothing, etc.), services (consulting, coaching, training, etc.), and even digital products (e-books, newsletters, etc.)
How Long Does it Take to Make Money From a Blog?
It can be different for everybody depending on business experience & the amount of time you have to put into it. In Bob’s case, he had no prior knowledge of blogging or how to advertise before he started, and had about 10 hrs every week to put into it. In this situation, it took Bob a full year before his earnings trend started heading upward fast. Overall, this is the typical trend for the first year or 2.
This proves that blogging is not a get-rich-quick strategy, but if you put forth consistent effort and have a willingness to learn, you will eventually be rewarded. Unfortunately, most people won’t stick with it long enough to see amazing results, but even making a few hundred dollars a month isn’t a bad alternative.
3 Warnings For Those Starting Out:
1) Don’t Quit Your Day Job. Begin building your blog part-time and consider making the switch to full-time only after the blog is producing the same income or surpassing the income of your day job.
2) Write Articles People Are Searching For. Try Jaaxy to conduct niche & keyword research. Due diligence here will result in better rankings in the search engines and most importantly, more traffic.
3) Don’t Attempt to Trick the Search Engines. If you’re trying to “game” the system for better SEO, you’re doing a disservice to yourself and your business. It may work in the short-term, but eventually they will pick up on your antics and punish you for it.
When you begin producing your first few pieces of content, keep in mind that search engines do not like new sites. Over time, with publishing consistency and quality content, your site will build a reputation and earn the trust of Google. For this reason, time is your biggest ally when it comes to search engine optimization.
The Book Itself:
How to Make Money Blogging is a very short (60 pages) and to-the-point piece geared toward new bloggers just starting out. Lotich stresses the fact that you don’t need to be an expert on any one topic to make money blogging; simply having a working knowledge of some of the most important concepts is enough. The only reason I gave the book a “B+” grade was because of how short it is – but at the same time, that’s the beauty of it. It doesn’t go into details on any one topic, but the simplicity of it is perfect for beginners.
Bob Lotich’s Tools & Recommendations:
- PsychicWhoIs.com → Used to find domain availability
- HostGator.com → Recommended hosting for 2 reasons: 1) It’s cost-effective, and 2) staff available via phone or chat 24/7
- WPEngine.com → Recommended hosting if you have the extra money to spend on it. Many webhosts are cheap but unreliable, and can range from a few dollars a month to upwards of $50.
- If you are serious about your site, it must be self-hosted (www.yoursite.com as opposed to something like www.yoursite.wordpress.com). This is not free to do, but it is still rather inexpensive.
- Go for a “.com” extension. These provide much more value than any other extension.
Start Your Own Blog Today!
If you’re feeling inspired and want to take action immediately on a free blog, take advantage of Wealthy Affiliate’s Free Starter Membership. There’s no better way to get started online. You can stay on as a free member as long as you’d like, a handful of training is offered for free, and hosting is included. This is my #1 recommended service that will turn your ideas and passions into income-generating online businesses.
Please leave any questions & comments below.
Written by Matthew Thomas